Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chaotic Connectivism: A Confession

During our first live Elluminate session in CCK11 this past week, some program participants referred to the chaos in the course. Numerous people jumped right in on that word and after repeatedly referring to this chaos, I started to feel really badly for our facilitators, George Siemens and Stephen Downes. The participants were being so insulting. Why were they ganging up on them already in Week 1? How terrible as facilitators to find that people are finding the course so chaotic. Tough crowd! I had actually thought it was all quite chaotic too, but I didn't want to make them feel badly so kept my mouth shut.

WELL......, THEN I DID MY READINGS!!! It turns out that chaos is the theme running through all the Week 1 readings. Oops. I read that chaos is the science of all things being connected to each other. I learned that chaos is at the heart of connectivism where ideas and information fluidly abound and where things are unpredicatable....but where meaning also exists. It is our job to make our way through this chaos and find the hidden patterns that exist there.

So, George and Stephen - kudos to you for offering this very chaotic course. I totally get it now (well, not totally).

No comments:

Post a Comment